October 21, 2013 by EmilyCRios
Search Engine Optimization or SEO deals with the things you can do to your website to promote it and gain traffic through search engines.
There are a variety of ways to improve your SEO. Cognito put together a list of 10 tips that if followed can help improve a website’s SEO. The list includes content, showcase coverage, keywords, phrases, keyword ratio, text styling, images, video tags, hyperlinks and analytics.
The list made me aware that written content is not the only things that should be tagged. Video and photos should be tagged as well to help improve the likelihood that they can be found via a search engine.
Google analytics can play a major role in increasing SEO. Google Analytics allows users to:
- See which marketing initiatives are most effective.
- Look at how they can the website convert more visitors into customers
- See which keywords resonate with prospects and lead to conversions
- Which pages retain visitors the longest
- What search terms people use to find the site
Improving your site SEO and utilizing Google Analytics can earn a site a higher position in Google search results which is extremely beneficial. According to a report by Chitika Insights mentioned in a MarketingProfs article, A website with the first position in Google results receives 33 percent of the search traffic for a keyword and the site in the second position receives 18 percent for the second position.
In “How to Move Your Blog Post Up in Search Results,” Ian Cleary discusses six things a blogger can do to to get rewarded by Google and move up in Google search results:
- Tweak your title page: Moving the most important words to the beginning of your headline can help move your post up in Goggle ratings.
- Create a Slideshare of your content: Content added to a Slideshare is indexed on Google in seconds.
- Optimize your images: All images should have a name, title and tag that relates to what it is so that it can be easily found via a search engine. Also bloggers should make sure their photo is uploaded in the proper size because a site can be penalized if it takes a long time to load.
- Improve your internal linking to the post: Link to posts from other blog posts using key words.
- Get External Links to the Post: FInd an online audience that can benefit from your posts and use them to help promote.
- Share your posts on Google+: Content posted on Google+ will appear higher in the search if people in your network are using Google as their search engine.
When it comes to SEO the main focus seems to be on tagging and making sure content, images and videos included, are given labels that will show up in search results and accurately portray what the content is.
What steps have you taken to increase your site’s SEO?
What do you think is the most important aspect to look at when trying to improve your SEO?